Once in season, shishito peppers are wont to pop up blistered or charred on almost every menu you come across. They are a delicious summer staple made even better by the accompaniment of the anchovy garlic butter and the lemon to finish.
- 1 pound shishito peppers
- 1 stick butter
- 3 cured anchovy filets, chopped finely
- 1 lemon, for juice and zest
- 1 grated clove of garlic
- ¼ cup grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- Maldon salt
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and lemon zest, and allow to cook for about a minute to infuse the butter without browning the garlic.
- Add the anchovies and lemon juice.
- Heat up a large saute pan or cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Put your peppers into a bowl and toss with a tablespoon or so of EVOO. you want a very light coating.
- Put the peppers in the very hot pan and move around until brown and blistered.
- Season with a generous amount of maldon salt and coat with the butter.
- Transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.