Caponata is like a Sicilian cousin to ratatouille. It combines some of our favorite summer produce items with a few sweet and salty extras. It is delicious served with crostini and seafood!
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped or sliced
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté eggplant cubes until soft and brown, about 10 minutes. Plate them out on a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same pan, discard excess oil leaving behind 2-3 Tbsp. Add onions and sauté till light brown in color. Add in garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add in chopped bell peppers along with celery and cook for a couple of minutes. Add in salt and pepper. Add in tomatoes and mix everything well.
- Mix in olives, capers, raisins, red chili flakes, red wine vinegar and honey. Simmer for 10 minutes
- Add in chopped parsley along with fried eggplant cubes. Mix well and let everything cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Garnish with parsley and olive oil.