Mini tarts filled with berries and caramelized sugar are a great treat for your summer BBQs!
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter, very cold, cut in small pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup ice water, or as needed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 pint gooseberries, stems picked off, washed and dried
- 2 pints blueberries, wash and dried
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (1 stick) butter (1 tablespoon per tartlet), plus extra for brushing tin
- 1 large egg white, for egg wash
- Finely ground cornmeal, for sprinkling on tin
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, butter, salt and sugar.
- Pulse quickly until the butter is the size of peas.
- Add very cold, ice water in a small stream until the dough just comes together.
- Empty onto waxed paper and halve the dough, shape into 2 balls, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- Pour sugar in heavy skillet, cook over low heat until sugar turns a medium brown. Pour caramelized sugar in a 10-inch aluminum tin or silcone mat to cool and harden. After it is cooled, break into pieces of 1-to 1 1/2-inch big. Set aside, it will be used to bake with berries.
- In a large bowl, place cleaned gooseberries and blueberries. Pour lemon juice on top. Sprinkle sugar, flour and nutmeg on top of the berries. Don’t mix or the fruit will soften if overworked.
- Take 8 small pie tins, brush with butter and liberally sprinkle with cornmeal. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces and put 7 back in the refrigerator (must be kept cold) roll out the dough into a 4-inch circle, it should be quite thick.
- Place disk in pie tin and repeat until all 8 are done. Place all 8 tarts on sheet pan.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Brush bottom of dough shell with egg whites. Gently scoop out the berries with the flour-sugar mixture on top into the shells. Place a piece of the caramelized sugar on top of berries. Fold up the sides in a circle, do not close up completely, leaving an opening. Put 1 tablespoon butter on top of each tartelette. Brush egg white on the exposed dough and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with confectioners' sugar dusted on top.