Creamy red potatoes dressed with a salty, tangy, herbaceous vinaigrette. Like a warm potato salad. Perfect accompaniment to seafood. And everything else.
For the potatoes:
- 2 pounds of red potatoes, cut in 1 inch slices
- 4 cups of olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 4 cloves smashed garlic
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- Peel of 1 lemon
For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup of capers
- ¼ cup celery
- ¼ cup fennel
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup of chopped basil
- 2 shallot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- Zest and juice of two lemons
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoon of sugar
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- Combine the olive oil, garlic, herbs, fennel seed, peppercorn, and lemon peel in a wide pan. Bring to a low heat to infuse for 45 minutes. Allow to infuse overnight, if able.
- Strain out the oil and bring to a low heat. Place the sliced potatoes in the oil and poach gently until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove the potatoes from the oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt
- Dice the celery, fennel, and shallots very finely.
- Mince the garlic or grate it on a microplane.
- Combine the celery, fennel, shallot, and garlic with the lemon zest, juice, and vinegar.
- Roughly chop the capers and anchovies.
- Mix together all the ingredients and season to taste.
- Spoon over the potatoes.