Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 - 2.5 hours
- 2 pounds plum or Roma tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger (from 1-inch knob)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all the ingredients in a Dutch oven. Place the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, ginger, salt, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes in a 3- to 4-quart Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Simmer the jam until thickened, about 2 hours. Reduce the heat to medium and gently boil, stirring occasionally, until thick and jammy, about 2 hours. You'll know it's done when you scrape a spoon across the bottom of the pot and no liquid fills in the path.
- Refrigerate the tomato jam. Divide the jam between 2 (8-ounce) canning jars. Cool, then seal and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.